Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Giving Thanks



The theme for this week’s Community Photo Challenge is ‘Give Thanks for…’. Join us by entering an image that conveys the meaning of these words to you – and help us all to better understand the things that you are thankful for.

If you know me or have read previous entries in this Journal, you already know that Thanksgiving is perhaps my most favorite holiday. While Christmas has deeper and more profound meaning, the overwhelming nature of its celebration and all the preparation can leave one reeling by the time the day itself approaches. But Thanksgiving still holds at least some of its original intent – and the spirit of simply taking the time to express appreciation and gratitude for all we have is in many ways the embodiment of the way I try to live each day.

Some years are easier than others to be truly thankful, as challenges come and go. And these past few years have in many ways been more difficult than most. But in the end, one need not look very far to find things and events and people for which to be thankful – and this year is no different.

I am thankful to wake each morning and face a day filled with new opportunities. I am grateful for the warmth of the sun and the beauty of nature that lives just outside my door. I am thankful for light in all its forms and the truth it reveals, even within the shadows. I am thankful for God and country and the beauty of the land. And at the end of each day, I am thankful for the stars, the peace they bring and the hope they offer.

My life has been blessed by people, both new and long familiar. There are friends to whom I can always turn and a special one to hold. There is not a moment when my heart is not full - and, no matter the depth of the darkness at times, there is always a reason to smile if I look hard enough. I am grateful for the ability to see the beauty in all that surrounds me – and for those who help me to see.

Whether there is more sunshine in your life or clouds this year, I wish for you the perspective to see the things which are good and right and decent and loving – and to let each and all of them guide you, give you hope and grant you peace. Thank YOU for reading!

29 comments:

hunybea4him said...

very encouraging.. and a great reminder (just coming off a big rant over at my blog lol)

Thanks for sharing

Much Love~

Michelle said...

I was hoping and expecting nothing less than an entry such as this from you. You so eloquently put into words (and photo) what we should all be thankful for each and every day. It's all about being alive ~ and noticing and appreciating the things we often take for granted. That isn't always easy to do.

Thank YOU.

::hug::

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

'light in all its forms and the truth it reveals, even within the shadows' -- these words are very profound and something I'm very thankful for too. Your entries are a blessing and I thank you for them. 'On Ya'-ma

gina said...

i love your photo...it is beautiful. you have so wonderfully stated the things for which you are thankful. how blessed you are.

Elisabeth said...

Lovely photograph and meaningful words...Thank you.

B.

Julie said...

What a lovely photo and entry. It is a good thing to remember all we have to be thankful for.

MariesImages said...

What a lovely autumn photo, but more important, a wonderful entry. I wish I had at least 1/4 of your talent in writing. Ü
You are definitely gifted in so many ways~
Thank you for your continued support in our challenge!

Jeanie said...

What a beautiful photograph! Your written words are just as full of imagery as your photograph.
I have so enjoyed my visit today.
Thank you.

Jeanie

Jeannette said...

Your photo is stunning Rob. Your way with words is just so good too, it reminds us of all that we should be thankful for. Thank you for writing what we all would have liked to say! Jeannette xx

Eaglesbrother said...

Very nice photograph and Eloquent words....we can all see you are truly thankful for life and it's blessings.

Bob

Gaboatman said...

I like your choice of photos for this entry. Your thoughts on this subject are golden and we should all take them to heart. Thanks for sharing.
Sam

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your beautiful photograph and heartfelt thoughts..Thanks! :)

Martha said...

What a beautiful photo and beautiful entry to match! :-)

Vicki said...

Rob, what a wonderful image and truly inspiring words. You have a way with words that matches your skills in photography. We're so lucky to have you on the team!
Vicki
P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!

Connie said...

Very Very beautiful entry

Heli gunner Tom said...

We need more honest men like you blogging about the truth nature of Christmas.

Tom
tschuckman@aol.com

Helen said...

Congratulations Rob. A very heartfelt entry. I enjoyed reading it and looking at the beautiful picture. Helen

Lainey Laine said...

Congratulations on winning with such a beautiful picture! I'm new to your blog and I look forward to reading and seeing more. Laine xxx
http://lainey-lainesworld.blogspot.com/

MariesImages said...

Congrats Rob!
Marie

D said...

great entry and congrats on the photo win :)
d

Julie said...

congratulations on your well deserved win. The photo and post were both beautiful.

Connie said...

Very beautiful photo.
congratulations on the well deserved win :-)
connie

akaSamDodsworth said...

And now another reason to be thankful - for the support and friendship of all of you who honored me with a kind comment or a vote in the Photo Challenge contest. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to visit here! Wishing you all a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.

Rob

Betty Pauwels said...

Rob well deserved!!!! Congratulations!!!

Dawnie said...

Congrats, Rob! Well deserved - lovely post, gorgeous picture!

meili_lo said...

my life has more sunshine... i always make sure i focus on the sunshine and not the clouds =)

anyway, saw you in one of the blogs i visited and thought of inviting you to visit my blog and share your views.

http://shewritesyouwrite.blogspot.com/

thannks!

Maria said...

Congratulatons for winning the photo Challenge for Giving Thanks..and you have some nice sentiment here too! Maria

Shelly said...

What a beautiful photo Sam. Merry Christmas!!

Lori @ Purple Snapdragons said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & yours. ~ Lori