Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Community Photo Challenge - Spooky



Okay – My first try at this didn’t end so well, but we’ll try again. This is really more of a test than anything – and a chance to promote the Community Photo Challenge. Their theme this week is ‘Spooky’ in honor of the season. While this image is more somber than spooky, as a judge I can’t participate in the voting round anyway, so I’ll use that as my excuse to bend the rules a bit.

This image was captured in a large cemetery not far from here. Among its more famous residents are John D. Rockefeller, President Garfield and Elliot Ness – as well as Ray Chapman, immortalized in one of my previous entries. The cemetery treats itself more as an outdoor sculpture garden than a place of sorrow – and as such is typically filled with walkers, joggers and students from the nearby university studying or simply decompressing after a stressful day. It is a place that celebrates life while still showing respect for loss, and it’s that mixture of emotions as well as the serene beauty and wonderful play of light no matter the time or the season that draws me here often.

This particular monument has caused me to pause and reflect for the silent power of its message since the very first time I saw it, so I’ll share it with you and allow you your own opportunity to reflect if you wish.

To participate in the Photo Challenge, simply click on the link above and post an entry. Topics vary widely and a new Challenge is offered bi-weekly. It’s a fun way to share your work and an opportunity to see the wide variety of approaches people take to a subject. Good luck to all entrants – and I’ll attempt to be back here with a more typical entry in the near future.

24 comments:

MariesImages said...

Glad to see you joining in...Ü
When I thought of this challenge, my first thoughts were you & your cemetary shots...funny how we remember certain images a person takes...;)
Excellent~
Marie

Helen said...

Love that covered brigde, great shot. The second picture was great in the challlenge.

Julie said...

Love the shot, it is spooky

Vicki said...

Looks like a wonderful place for a leisurely stroll...and for spooky images. This is definitely one for reflection!
Nicely seen,
Vicki

Michelle said...

::glances around:: I like what you've done to the place... ;o)

Glad this entry worked out for you, and that you shared such an image ~ spooky or not, it's quite moving. Cementaries are some of the most picturesque and serene places.

gina said...

i think it's perfect for the challenge...and i really like what you've done with your new place. :)

Connie said...

That would make me look back twice.One would think it was real...
Fabulous bridge photo.
connie

sunflowerkat said...

Terrific shot for the challenge Rob. That must be one incredible cemetary.

Kat

Jeannette said...

That certainl is a spooky picture! I love the one at the top of your blog with the bridge and the water, beautiful scene. I have added myself as a follower now.

Jan said...

Thankyou for the invitation to your blog ,Iwill return again and hope you will visit mine soon ..love Jan xx

Kathy said...

Hi! Thank you for your email and invitation to read your blog.

I look forward to checking in from time to time.

Kathy
http://littleleftofcenter3.blogspot.com/

Connie said...

Thanks for the e-mail-and I'm glad to be among one of the views of your wonderful works
connie

Connie said...

excuse me-it was meant to say 'viewers',LOL
connie

Shelly said...

Hi Rob. I didn't know you that well in J-Land but I did know "of" you. : ) Great picture. And speaking of President Garfield, have you ever heard the song by Johnny Cash called Mr. Garfield? It is on the America album. The whole album is awesome and I know every word!! Have a great day Rob and it is nice to finally meet you.

Sugar said...

the covered bridge header & the cemetary shots are wonderful!
ty for sending me an invite... hope you visit me soon.

Odds Bodkins. said...

Hi, glad you're settling in over here.

I love the spooky shot. Hopefully, I'll get back into the photography challenges soon.

B.

Donna. W said...

Wow, I LOVE the picture of the covered bridge!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the invite Rob. I always love to see a post from you. That's definitely a spooky shot you took! I'm so glad you came over to Blogspot and I hope to see more of your photography talent on show here. Jeannette.

Melissa said...

I would love to sit in front of that statue and reflect. It's haunting, but not in a bad way at all. It reminds me of a little statue of a weeping angel that touched me deeply. Thanks for sharing this and thanks for stopping by my journal.

Joyce said...

Thank you for the invite...and the bridge is lovely...and your blog is too! You have been added to my blog if you would like to come by...and invite will soon come your way...take care!!!
Joyce

Robin said...

Very spooky! I think I finally got my photo journal up and running...drop by when you get a change. It is called "A shutterbug's Studio"

http://ashutterbugstudio.blogspot.com/

Lori @ Purple Snapdragons said...

Hello my friend. Thanks for the invite. Finally figuring blogger out and made my way over for a visit. Your site looks great! ~ Lori

Rjet33 said...

I LOVE the pic of the covered bridge at the top of your blog. We had two in our area, but unfortunately arsonists destroyed one and a storm took out another when a tree fell on it. Fortunately, our historical society voted to restore it and move it to a nearby park. I have a pic, but my computer crashed. Don't know if I can retrieve it. ::sniff:: Thanks for sending me your link. I have saved it to my favorites. :-)

Blessings!~

Susan

Dawnie said...

I really like this pic! Super cool...